Wednesday 5 December 2012

caught and cooked coral trout

YES! I finally caught my first coral trout! After living only a two hour drive from the Whitsundays for almost a  year now, it has taken a week long amazing sailing trip around the islands to experience this great catch!


Although I've cooked and eaten coral trout many times it was this super quick and easy meal of Chili Ginger Coral Trout with coconut rice and steamed broccolini that had my taste-buds dancing! 

INGREDIENTS


Coral Trout 
Eschalot, sliced
Ginger- Finely grated
Sambal Oelek
Tamari
Mirin
Rice wine vinegar
Lemon Juice
Fish Sauce
Brown sugar
Sesame Oil
Rice- I used medium grain as that's all I had
Coconut milk
Water
Broccolini

WHAT I DID WITH THEM


First thing I did was get my fish dressing/marinade ready. 
I mixed together the Sambal Oelek, tamari, mirin, rice wine vinegar, fish sauce, ginger, ecshalot, brown sugar and set aside. 

I then steamed my broccolini. I don't mind if it cools before serving. I love it super crunchy so I only steam until there is the slightest hint of green in the water- this means all the nutrients stay locked in as well :)

I put my rice on to cook. I have a rice cooker. And I hate using it. In fact I hate cooking rice altogether. Its usually my husbands job but he wasn't home so I sucked it up and did it all by myself! I used half coconut milk and half water to cook the rice. 


I cut the coral trout into chunky pieces and placed in a hot wok with sesame oil. Just before the fish was fully cooked through I poured the marinade over to coat and mingle with the fish until it was shiny and sticky.  Right at the end I squeezed the lemon juice over the fish.


(please don't be offended by my cheesy photo of leftovers!)

No comments:

Post a Comment